Membership:

 
 

 

 

 
   

   
History
The seminal event in the history of the Institute of the Lithuanian language was the establishment of the editorial board of the Dictionary of Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalbos žodynas) set up in 1930. It was the beginning of the Dictionary which is now the largest in scope and one of the most significant works of the Institute. In 1939 in Kaunas Antanas Smetona Institute of Lithuanian Studies was founded. One of its key aims was to investigate the Lithuanian language, to collect and manage the materials of Lithuanian and represent Lithuanian Studies in Lithuania and abroad. In 1941 after Lithuania was annexed by the Soviet Union, in the framework of the Academy of Sciences, the Institute of the Lithuanian Language was founded on the basis of the Institute of Lithuanian Studies and the Lithuanian Association of Science. After the Second World War the Institute resumed its activities. At that time the Institute had only 12 employees; in 1952 the Institute was merged with the Institute of the Lithuanian Literature. At the beginning the new Institute had 47 employees, in 1980 the number of employees increased to 113. In 1952 doctoral studies were started at the Institute. In 1990 the Institute of the Lithuanian Language was re-established as an independent institution. At the end of the same year the Institute had 95 employees, with 63 of them taking research positions. In 1991 the Institute received the status of a state research institution. Today the Institute of the Lithuanian Language is the centre for scientific research of the Lithuanian language. Currently it has over 100 employees with over 70 of them taking research positions.